Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sheltering

I'm in almost complete lockdown; staying in the house or in the car, except to walk in empty spaces and to get once-weekly groceries. But I have company: two cats, a tank full of crabs and hermits, a family of cellar spiders, and a pretty brown moth who came in from the cold.

Spotted Tussock moth, Lophocampa maculata

"Tussock" refers to the hairy head.

The moth was lethargic, so I eased it under the microscope.

Wing pattern

Zooming in to look at the feathers; they're two-pointed.

And that head of hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estoy encerrada en casa o dentro de mi coche, saliendo únicamente a caminar donde no hay gente, y una vez a la semana a comprar comida. Pero no estoy sola: me acompañan dos gatos, un tanque lleno de cangrejos y ermitaños, una familia de arañitas. Y me vino a visitar una bonita paloma, una de las palomas tigres, Lophocampa maculata.

Como estaba muy dormilona, logré colocarla bajo el microscopio para ver las plumitas y el pelo de la cabeza.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:00 am

    Love these photos. Hope the moth felt better after warming up. Did s/he make it back outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Washington State we are now under a stay at home order with all non-essential businesses closed. Sounds a lot similar to Campbell River. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger