Thursday, May 16, 2019

Dune walk

Along the dunes at Oyster Bay. Mostly sandy, with logs piled higgledy-piggledy from the high tide line to the forest; grassy, prickly with the seed heads of big-headed carex, dusted with lichens, anchored with tall grasses and assorted salt-tolerant shrubbery; home to garter snakes, grasshoppers, butterflies, and little twittering birds.

Photos in no particular order.

Typical mix. I'm not sure what the shrub is. There are orange fungi on the end of the farthest log out on the left and on the front log on the far right.

Silver burweed, Ambrosia chamissonis, just starting out. By mid-summer they will cover most of the bay end of the dunes.

Trails in the sand.

These trails were everywhere on the bay end of the dunes, well above the high tide line, in dry sand. There were no snail trails below the high tide line; these aren't made by sea snails, nor crabs, nor hermits. They're too irregular to be garter snake trails. If they're made by land snails, it's odd; the trails end abruptly, as if the snail picked up her skirts and tiptoed away. I've seen no live snails in this end of the dunes.

Any ideas?

One of the many grasses. A brome, I think.

Baked tree root.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:51 am

    Hello Susannah, we're a landscape architecture firm, and working on a beach project for Vancouver. Your picture is a perfect match of our design concept. I want to ask if you would allow us to apply your "Typical Mix Picture" in our presentation panel to deliver our proposal?

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger