Thursday, March 28, 2019

Cormorant rock

A couple dozen or so Double-crested cormorants perch year-round on a couple of rocks just off-shore, one just south of city centre, one to the north. Both rocks are well below the low-tide line beside beaches that are too rocky for comfortable walking, but the cormorants are still easily spooked by humans.

I've attempted to tiptoe up close several times. The tide was very low a few days ago, and I tried again.

11 birds here. Several had flown away as I approached.

From a bit further away, cropped to look at the one with the white markings. The feathers have a distinct greenish cast; the orange markings around the chin are visible when the heads are turned to catch the light.

As I approached, step by cautious step, stopping every time they looked my way, a few birds left, then a few more, then finally all the rest at once.  The rock is tall, with most of it above water even at high tide. The cormorants take off downward, dropping to splash along the surface of the water before they rise into the air.

Leaving a trail across the water. Swimming, they sit low in the water.

Last nine to leave, splashing as they go.

I posted this last photo on the Worst Bird Photographs Facebook page, but I can't reisist adding it here:

The fabulous double-headed cormorants. This was taken from a greater distance, when they first started noticing my approach. 16 birds that I can see. (One is just the bill.)


1 comment:

  1. Guess they sit low because they have to have heavier bodies to dive so deep for fishing, kind of like loons. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger