Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Half-hidden mice

Douglas fir cones:

Pseudotsuga menziesii. Always identifiable by the three-pronged bracts.

I like Douglas fir: it's not a fir, nor, as some people call it, a spruce, but belongs in its own genus, Pseudotsuga, meaning "false hemlock". And it's always easy to identify by its unique cones. The bracts are, according to legend, the feet and tail of tiny deer mice hiding underneath the scales.

These mice are long and skinny. (Older cones, really.)

The cones are the only ones you will find in the Northwest with three-pointed bracts sticking out of the scales.  Unlike the true firs, the cones hang down rather than standing up on the branch. Also unlike the true firs, the Douglas Fir drops its cones to the ground intact. (From Northwest Conifers)

4 comments:

  1. PSEUDOTSUGA MENZIESII

    Then if the scales
    Are tangent words
    Shielding a fibre core,
    Then love breathes
    Dragon-tongues of fire
    Past the seeds.


    Salmon Arm & Westbank, B.C., 9-10 July 1989

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, Susannah. They do, indeed look like mice under the scales. And Fred, enjoyed your poem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a visit from a mouse of a different kind. I did a stupid thing when we left the cabin two weeks ago. I must have gone out one door and then in the other. I left the first door open about an inch then left and locked the main door. A mouse came for a visit inside the cabin and left his calling cards everywhere. Lots of cleanup required but he must have gone back out on his own. Nothing caught in the trap fortunately. I hate to do that. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger