Friday, October 06, 2017

Bottoms up

A couple of anemones have started climbing the walls in the aquarium. I took the opportunity to look at them from an unusual point of view.

An orange-striped green anemone. The stripes show up on the base, too. And what are those little coiled white things?

The general structure of a sea anemone is simple. ... Internally, anemones are also simple with only a few anatomical features, largely limited to a throat-like actinopharynx and radiating mesenteries. (Brian McCloskey)

So, maybe they're mesenteries: infoldings of the skin that increase the digestive capacity. Or are those the orangey blobs? And could the squiggles be wormy parasites? Or gonads?

Pink-tipped green anemone. Interesting swirly lines.

This anemone has migrated to just below the surface. I added a bit more water, to avoid leaving it high and dry when I change the cooling ice packs, and the anemone moved on up to the top again. All its relatives (and possible clones) are still settled down on the bottom, in the sand or on oyster shells.

The big plumose anemone, Metridium dianthus, "looks" straight at me, giving me a clear view of her mouth.

A pink-tipped green anemone, from a more usual viewpoint. It's on a moon snail shell, which seems to be growing assorted algae in turquoise and pink.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, especially the last one - so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE being able to look at the foot of the anemone like this!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger