Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Not a prickly pear

In the new planters that make up the "garden" in the hospital's "Garden Walk", the gardeners' choices - native salal and white azaleas - are struggling. The soil is too dry; the spring rains evaporated quickly in the warm weather. Salal, especially, is a rainforest plant, and thrives on cool, dripping cliff faces. Only one of the azaleas has managed to produce flowers: two small flowers.

Tiny Drabas are pinch-hitting; each planter holds several, all blooming merrily. No water? No problem! Morning dew will do; or last night's brief fog.

Draba sp. One of 400+. White, four-petalled flowers, long, purplish siliques. 

Most of the leaves are basal. And very hairy.

Those white blobs looked interesting. Zooming in: 

A white, plastic-looking foam. Under the microscope, they're the same; blobs of foam, some with a torn top.

And look at that prickly pear imitation! No wonder whoever added that white stuff chose the underside of the leaf!



1 comment:

  1. I'm sure there's more than one type of insect that does that, but leaf/treehoppers are what I think of.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger