Friday, February 07, 2014

Show-off!

One of the most welcome sights in late winter is a Pieris japonica, aka andromeda or Lily-of-the-valley bush, sporting its new, bright red leaves at the tips of the branches. The flowers, small upside-down goblets like huckleberry flowers, come later, in early spring. Usually, the flowers are white, sometimes a pale pink. I can't remember seeing one this red or this early before:

No-one told it to wait until March.

Buds. Looks like the flowers inside will be red or deep pink.

The Pieris is a relative of our native rhododendrons, and though the flowers are much smaller, it is equally showy. And too common around here, so we tend to overlook it. Not this one, though!

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger