Thursday, January 09, 2014

Beast of burden

Since I found a worm inside the shell of one of my limpets last month, I've been keeping a close eye on the whole limpet community, hoping to find another worm, maybe even to identify it.

I've seen a few, fleetingly. I'm working on getting photos.

Meanwhile, here's a badly overworked young limpet.

7 calcareous tubeworms on one poor limpet.

The limpet is about 2/3 the width of the blade of eelgrass, itself only 4 mm wide, making the limpet under 3 mm across, and the tubeworms under 1 mm. each. The worms themselves are pink or red; the white spiral tubes, are made of calcium carbonate. If the light is right, the colour of the live worm shows through.

Each worm is capped by a round lid, or operculum, visible on the one at the top in this photo. It hides the worm in case of danger or exposure, and also serves as a brood chamber for the young. It flips back for the worm to extend its feeding tentacles.

As I watched the limpet, it moved along the eelgrass blade, eating algae, seemingly undisturbed by the load on its back, probably weighing more than the limpet itself.

More limpet photos tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger