Friday, October 04, 2013

Arrowhead with bulging eyes.

A pair of these little moths were sleeping on the wall by our door this afternoon, tiny brown arrowheads on the greyish stucco.

Probably a snout moth, just under 1 cm. long.

The moths were either very sleepy, or very tolerant; this one allowed me to take photos from an inch away. And her* eyes are strange:

It looks like a staring eye at the bottom of a blown-up balloon.

*Going by the antennae; the antennae of male moths are more feathery; they have to home in on a female by the scent of her pheromones, often in the dark, and the antennae are the "smellers".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger