Sunday, June 02, 2013

Glow sticks!

There are so many beautiful places to visit in this area, we could be on the go all day every day, and still be missing out. Bear Creek Park is only a few minutes away, but we haven't been through the gardens for a couple of years. Our loss.

We spent a couple of hours in the garden this afternoon, coming back, as usual, with too many photos, some good, some so-so.

I have to share one that didn't work out, though; another Mourning Cloak butterfly. It was on the shrubbery beside our path, flitting from one spot to another. Laurie was closer, and managed one blurry head shot before it flew off to find another bush.

Mourning Cloak, Nymphalis antiopa

Just a dark butterfly, from the underside, in poor light, and dancing in the breeze. But what I wanted to show you were the yellow knobs on the end of the antennae. Cute!

I went to BugGuide and looked at their photos. Sure enough, the Mourning Cloak has its own glow light; it wasn't an effect of the sunshine. Here's one of BG's samples.

The rest of the story, later, after I've finished with the lupins and bees of Elgin Park. An embarrassment of riches!



1 comment:

  1. Brings back memories. The Mourning Cloak was the first butterfly outside of a Monarch that I took the time to look up and identify. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger