Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spikes, fringes and golden feathers

It looks like moth season is here at last. A bit late, but so is our summer. (The blogger at Don't Bug Me calls this month Juneuary.)

I found two little brown/gold moths resting on the wall just outside the door.

I think it's a geometrid moth, the adult of an inchworm. I could easily be wrong.

Underside of the wings. The fringes look basted on, almost as an afterthought. Look at this full size to see the individual feathers.

I like those wild, spiky legs, reminding me of elk or deer antlers.

I looked at some 3000 geometric moth photos in BugGuide, but didn't find a match. I'll have to resize these photos and send them in for ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger