Thursday, June 21, 2012

On deadheading rhododendrons

A few observations:

  • While it is theoretically possible to completely deadhead a rhododendron, it has never been done. There's always another head hidden away in plain sight.

  • I am convinced that while I'm on one side of the rhodo, new flower heads on the other side are speed-budding, -blooming, and -dying.

  • Want to hear a rhododendron snigger? Say, in its hearing, "I guess I'm done; I'll call it a day." Then turn around real quick and look at the area you just finished. See the new/old head? Right in front of your nose?

  • The point of a rhododendron leaf, when poked into an eye, really hurts.
Just saying. Back to work!

2 comments:

  1. How about the ones that fight back with sticky exudate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean there are some that don't?

    What we put up with for a few weeks of gorgeous blooms! And a whole winter's worth of deep green; there is that.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger