Friday, August 12, 2011

Oil, 30 years ago

I've been working hard, tweaking the html on my family website, and was struck, once again, by the timeliness of my mother's poetry. This was written over 30 years ago, in 1980:
OIL PUMPS 
Up and down
like giant carrion in the fields,
they suck the blood of prehistoric forests
and rotting dinosaurs.
Between their claws they spew and spit
the foul black mucus
into troughs and tubes
that bear it to the flames
that heat the blood of pale and fearful man,
who cries for "More!"
struggling to survive
upon a dying earth. 
©Lorna Whitelaw/Anderson, 1980
I don't think I can add anything to that.

(Link to her poems, (at least, the ones on my site) here. Oil Pumps is on the page, "This Dying Earth". Please excuse any wonky formatting; I'm re-doing everything.)

2 comments:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger