Monday, May 09, 2011

A working Mother's Day

We have spent the weekend carrying Laurie's books, bookcases and display cabinets (for antiques and Laurie's carvings) downstairs and setting them up again. The antiques were already down here, packed in boxes that take up a third of my bedroom. They'll get unpacked gradually, over the next few weeks.

The books: sci-fi, history, science, philosophy, art, classics, poetry ... All read, some re-read. Books come, books go, resold or lent or passed on, but the total stays more or less the same; somewhere around 4000. That's a lot of books! It will take us weeks to get them all unpacked and on their proper shelves.

(Here's a (copyrighted) photo of an art installation using 4000 books. 13 feet by 7 1/2 feet by the height of a book. Some of Laurie's art books and dictionaries were quite a bit bigger.)

We had help; willing kids and grandkids, plus two great grandkids to provide entertainment throughout. I couldn't ask for a better Mother's Day gift!

I'll be back to regular blogging tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Nice looking book arrangement, if a little impractical. I suppose if you simply wanted to keep your books, but never intended to read them, it could work. That's art that an eReader could never create.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger