Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Christmas in June

This anemone was hiding in the shadow of a rock near the low-tide mark on "our" beach near Campbell River:


Urticina crassicornis, painted or Christmas anemone
"A non-selective and opportunistic predator, Urticina crassicornis, may feed on crabs, sea urchins, mussels, gastropods, chitons, barnacles, fish, and sometimes sea stars and stranded jellies." (Wikipedia)
This was a medium-sized one; about two inches across. They grow to about three inches, with the open tentacles reaching to 10 inches across. They can live up to 80 years.

1 comment:

  1. I enlarged this photo, and find I can't take my eyes off this absolutely gorgeous anemone! Your photo is so clear and crisp I feel like I can reach out and touch it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger