Friday, May 21, 2010

Whatever works, works

In one of the outermost ponds of the Reifel Island bird sanctuary, a small mixed flock of peeps were feeding.


Large brown waders. Dowitchers, I think.


Most of the time, their heads were underwater.


Have to come up for air occasionally.


Farther out, smaller, white-bellied peeps were feeding, pecking quickly and raising their heads to look around.


And there was one lone yellowlegs.

The water is shallow, knee-high to a yellow-legs, and the floor is covered with pale brown silt. When the birds wade, they disturb the silt and leave a visible trail.


A pair of the large ones make a meandering two-lane road. (Can't see where they're going, with their heads underwater?)

And the yellowlegs marches alone on a straight path.


Going places. No time to dawdle.

We couldn't identify these with any certainty; they were too far away to judge sizes. I think the brown birds were dowitchers; they were fat and had long, slightly down-turned beaks. The white-bellied ones were small, with shorter beaks. And the yellow-legs (whether greater or lesser, I can't tell) was twice the height of the smallest.




2 comments:

  1. These shots are absolutely astounding! I love the muddy trail the birds leave in the water.

    This post would be perfect for Weekend Reflections - you should sign up!!! James of Newton Area photo is the host, and it's so fun!

    http://newtowndailyphoto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the image of the waders with their silt trails - great photo!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger