Friday, August 15, 2008

Caught by a Meme

You have to watch out, wandering the web these days; you never know when a meme is going to leap out at you and sink its fangs into your mouse hand. I've fallen victim, again.

So, of course, I'm passing it on. It's the only way to get it to leave go of me. Sorry about that. Blame it on Stranger Fruit, where it ambushed me.

This meme is a list of 100 food items, some a bit on the exotic side, others not really. You are supposed to bold the ones you have eaten and strike-through those you'd never try.


The remains of the Mole Poblano, con arroz blanco y frijoles.

The List:

(Some of these I didn't recognize by their name. I Googled them and discovered that they were old favourites. I added an asterisk to these.)
  • 1. Venison
  • 2. Nettle tea No, not as a tea. But we used to eat the plants as a vegetable in the spring.
  • 3. Huevos rancheros Yum!
  • 4. Steak tartare
  • 5. Crocodile
  • 6. Black pudding
  • 7. Cheese fondue
  • 8. Carp
  • 9. Borscht
  • 10. Baba ghanoush
  • 11. Calamari
  • 12. Pho* Vietnamese soup; noodles and sliced beef, in a beef broth. A staple in Vietnamese restaurants.
  • 13. PB&J sandwich
  • 14. Aloo gobi* A dry potato and cauliflower curry.
  • 15. Hot dog from a street cart
  • 16. Epoisses
  • 17. Black truffle
  • 18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes Pear.
  • 19. Steamed pork buns
  • 20. Pistachio ice cream
  • 21. Heirloom tomatoes
  • 22. Fresh wild berries Every summer.
  • 23. Foie gras
  • 24. Rice and beans
  • 25. Brawn, or head cheese
  • 26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
  • 27. Dulce de leche
  • 28. Oysters I had a can in my cupboard for ages and ages. I finally gave it away.
  • 29. Baklava
  • 30. Bagna cauda
  • 31. Wasabi peas
  • 32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
  • 33. Salted lassi
  • 34. Sauerkraut
  • 35. Root beer float
  • 36. Cognac with a fat cigar
  • 37. Clotted cream tea
  • 38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
  • 39. Gumbo
  • 40. Oxtail
  • 41. Curried goat No. But barbecued, roasted, and stewed goat, yes.
  • 42. Whole insects (chocolate covered ants/grasshoppers/crickets) Ants and grasshoppers. The grasshoppers were toasted, served on a tortilla with fresh lime juice. Mmmm - good!
  • 43. Phaal
  • 44. Goat's milk I used to make cheese out of this. But I drank a bit, too.
  • 45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
  • 46. Fugu Not that brave. Or foolhardy.
  • 47. Chicken tikka masala
  • 48. Eel
  • 49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
  • 50. Sea urchin Raw, on the half shell. The other half walked across the table and fell off the edge. Spoiled my appetite.
  • 51. Prickly pear
  • 52. Umeboshi Pickled Ume fruits.
  • 53. Abalone
  • 54. Paneer* A milk/lemon unaged cheese.
  • 55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal
  • 56. Spaetzle
  • 57. Dirty gin martini
  • 58. Beer above 8%
  • 59. Poutine No. But I should have; I'm Canadian. Just not fond of gravy.
  • 60. Carob chips
  • 61. S'mores
  • 62. Sweetbreads
  • 63. Kaolin As an ingredient in a medication only.
  • 64. Currywurst
  • 65. Durian
  • 66. Frogs' legs Cooked up a batch. And my silly kids started hopping around the table.
  • 67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
  • 68. Haggis One taste was plenty.
  • 69. Fried plantain
  • 70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
  • 71. Gazpacho
  • 72. Caviar and blini
  • 73. Louche absinthe
  • 74. Gjetost, or brunost
  • 75. Roadkill
  • 76. Baijiu
  • 77. Hostess Fruit Pie
  • 78. Snail
  • 79. Lapsang souchong
  • 80. Bellini
  • 81. Tom yum* Thai soup with lemongrass, those little slippery mushrooms, chili, cilantro, chicken and/or seafood.
  • 82. Eggs Benedict
  • 83. Pocky
  • 84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
  • 85. Kobe beef
  • 86. Hare
  • 87. Goulash
  • 88. Flowers
  • 89. Horse
  • 90. Criollo chocolate
  • 91. Spam
  • 92. Soft shell crab
  • 93. Rose harissa
  • 94. Catfish
  • 95. Mole poblano
  • 96. Bagel and lox
  • 97. Lobster Thermidor
  • 98. Polenta
  • 99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
  • 100. Snake
I've eaten 59 of these. I'm not likely to try the cigar, and I'm sure not to try the fugu. Anything else -- well, I've eaten balut; after that, it's all uphill.

And there you have it; squirm out of its clutches, if you can!
.

1 comment:

  1. Island; Living here in Vancouver gives us the opportunity to try all sorts of things; there's a restaurant for every type of cuisine you can imagine. I don't know how Victoria compares.

    (We always go for traditional English fare in Victoria.)

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger