Sunday, September 09, 2007

Weird and weirder

An afternoon on Boundary Bay beach. But definitely not the usual.

It started out more or less normally. It was high tide, and we walked along the rough at water's edge. I stopped to take a photo of the mosaic patterns the shallow waves made on the rocks underneath.

Click on this to see the "grout" lines.

Laurie picked up a stone-and-barnacle encrusted piece of metal, solidly compacted and rusted into place. A heavy "souvenir", but it went into my bag, along with a 2-inch-tall snuff bottle look-alike I found, also "fossilized".




On the way back, we walked along the front of the houses. And got to looking at reflections in their humongous windows.


A driftwood sea serpent and background mountains that just weren't there; the house faces the empty bay with a bare hint of Mount Baker in the far distance. Mystifying.


Laurie trying to shoot the sea behind him in the glass wall of a deck. He is on the empty sand dunes, not in the shrubbery. Reflections are deceptive.

And Laurie again, shooting me shooting him, with fiery grasses in between.

At the entrance to our street, a crowd had gathered; all adults, not going anywhere, just milling around. As we approached, a man with a tag on his shirt came over to introduce himself. I noticed that everybody facing me had the same sort of tag.

"This is the International Bocce Competition. We're training for the Olympics," he told us. I had never heard of the game, but I noticed that a man was aiming a small ball along the path we had just taken. "Are we on your pitch?" I asked. "Not any more," was the answer. Oops.

Not that I could see, even after I knew about it, that there was a "pitch". They were just throwing their balls down on the rough sand, debris an all.

Off to the side, a couple of women were tossing their balls down the slope, towards the water. The first thrower had a can of beer in her left hand. (Accepted procedure, I read later, boning up on the game.)

There was a rough chart of rounds taped up on the fence, a couple of scorekeepers in chairs, a couple of coolers. Very business-like, except for the seeming lack of any standardized playing field. "Free form", this blogger calls it.

We-ird. I think my family would like it; I'll pass the word on.

We went for coffee and tea. Across the street, someone was drying/desanding his sandals:

1 comment:

  1. Cool fossils! And good to know there is Bocce in BC!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger