Monday, April 30, 2007

More photos added. ..

... to the Flickr Blogger Bioblitz group. (And that's a tongue-twister, of sorts. Or I should have been in bed long ago. Or both.) Including a "Mystery Tree", and some unidentified seedlings.

Help needed. Do you recognize any of them?

And here is another mystery: this is a wild mustard. The flowers are brilliant yellow. (See detail, below.) To the naked eye, this mass of buds looks a dark purplish-brown, as do the stems. I took the photo in lieu of making notes. At home, the photo showed the buds as bright pink. Today I went back, found the plant, and brought a sample home. Took a pile of photos, under different light conditions. Same thing; the purplish mass always turns out a bright pink.

Why? Can anyone explain this?

2 comments:

  1. hi! try shading the plant with a hat--or picking it and holding it in the shade or diffused light. Try different values(darknesses) of background too(get down on the ground seems to help, rather than an overhead shot--you're getting maximum flashback from sunlight by being over head)What is in the background will affect how your eye sees color, the saturation and temperature. Sunlight is very difficult to get true color--you get washed out stuff. Or you can use a polarizer too--but you must be using a digital camera. I found when I got a dslr color was infinitely better. (Of course I was using a crap digital camera before, but...) If you can, try shortening your depth of field, so the background is blurrier. Well, hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, wyldthang.

    Yes, I am using a digital camera, and a cheap one, at that. One of these days, I'll upgrade. For now, the learner's model.

    I've generally found that the closer I get, the better the colour. Shortening my depth of field, as you say.

    And I did bring this plant home and photograph it in different situations. I think there may also be some characteristic of the plant itself, because it turned out pink in whatever lighting I gave it.

    I'll take your hint and experiment with backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger