Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Wasps. And am I ever having fun!

New digital camera. Fairly cheap, since I'm a newbie.

And a couple of dull days and a sick day, so I'm inside, playing with it. I pulled out a few boxes of bugs and bones to practice with close-ups and the software that came with the camera. (Lousy, by the way.)

Here's a sample. Not too great, as yet, but I see possibilities. Let it rain!

The first is a bald-faced wasp. A big guy.

seagull skullA skull of a bird, sunbleached. Found beside Boundary Bay beach. Probably a seagull.














A wasp's nest, abandoned early in the building. You can see the one cell where a larva was developing. The little bump at the bottom was a kind of stem and anchor.

A chickadee feather, for size comparison.

And a small mushroom.








A small wasp.










An unidentified bug.

















A conifer borer, that, with the aid of his family, destroyed Laurie's favourite spruce tree. Bottom view.














The small wasp, a couple of seeds from a weed found near Chase, in the BC interior, a mushroom from the same area, that unidentified bug, belly up, and a dime for comparison.

5 comments:

  1. I love close ups and macros. We generally look at things quickly and miss the interesting details. The photos allow time for close inspection.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't playing with a new digital camera GREAT fun? I got one for my birthday, and have been concentrating on the zoom feature. I haven't started in on macro yet.
    The unidentified bug looks to me like a stink bug. We have them here in PA (google it and see what they look like). Not sure if they are indigenous to the Canadian northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The unidentified shield-shaped bug is probably a stink bug. If you see any live ones, DON'T SQUISH THEM! Bad things happen when you squish a stink bug...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unidentified shield-shaped bug is probably a stink bug. If you see any live ones, DON'T SQUISH THEM! Bad things happen when you squish a stink bug...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mara.

    Yes, now I recognize it; I've seen quite a few since. And I almost never squish bugs, so that's not a worry.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger