Saturday, February 10, 2007

Overheard at the Antique Fair

We spent the day today in Abbotsford, as we do every year, at the "Cabin Fever" Antique Fair. Crowded, as usual. We bought Japanese porcelain, a silver spoon for a tiny mustard pot I bought last week, a handful of tools.

For lunch and afternoon coffee, we shared tables in the dining area with a hundred other footsore but happy shoppers. (Our neighbour at lunch was showing off a couple of antique dolls.)

In the afternoon, the women at our table, 60-ish, with full shopping bags, were talking earnestly: "... go into your source code and check the command sequence ... "

On the way out, we saw an enormous eagle, perched on the topmost branch of a cedar overlooking the parking lot, standing out against a clear blue sky. We hadn't brought cameras.

And we are weary, weary, weary.

Photo: a little broken imari pot we bought last year, just because I loved it. Some day I'll have it repaired.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:18 pm

    What is an imari pot? What are they used for? It certainly is beautiful! And speaking of beautiful, on the "Cabin Fever" site you link to, there's a mostly red vase about halfway down on the right side that makes me weak in the knees! I'm so glad B.C. is a whole continent away from me--I'd be in serious financial trouble if I were to go to that Antique Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imari is a style of Japanese porcelain that uses bright, assymetrical designs in red, blue and green. It is named after Imari, the Japanese seaport where it was first made.

    You find mostly bowls; we bought one yesterday. But vases are fairly common. My little pot is quite unusual. My guess is that it was intended as a small vase.

    That red vase: that's Moorcroft. And it's available anywhere. And now you are in trouble; a vase could easily cost you $500, or maybe even into the thousands.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger