Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Nostalgia is Catching

In the last few days, I've seen several blog posts resurrecting vintage family photos. Baby pictures, ours or our adult kids', for example: see here, here and here.

It's catching. Now I've come down with the fever, forced to dig through old boxes and cabinets, looking for memories.

Here are some I found, in chronological order.

My aunt in first grade. Toronto, about 1910, 1911. She's the one on the front left (your left, not hers), holding her doll upright, by the feet. She never was the maternal type. Never married, lived at home with her widowed mother until Nana's death, a schoolteacher by profession and temperament. The quintessimal "maiden aunt" of old fiction.* We don't see many of those, these days.

*Except that she laughed a lot.

I see dolls like those in antique fairs. They cost a pretty penny today.

My father in shop class, fourth from the left. Toronto, early 1920s.

Most of the boys in button-down shirts and ties, suit jackets. Mostly with the apron; it's a shop class, after all.

Look closely; those are small work-benches, with bench clamps and rows of holes for wooden-handled chisels and files and a saw. There's a big plane and a measuring compass, a T-square on the wall. A well-equipped shop.

On the blackboard: acorns, some type of propeller, the words "tangent, tangential". A cross-section of a log, some kind of pattern. I wonder what it is they were going to be making?

Along the top, a variety of bird houses; previous creations by the boys?

My brother and I, 1945/6. Red Deer, Alberta. And our car.


Anyone know its make and year? I don't. I know it was black. Of course.

5 comments:

  1. PRICELESS! Absolutely priceless. When you say "vintage" you mean vintage"!
    Maybe your non-maternal teacher aunt was anticipating her future profession.
    As for the make of the car--I am no help. I hope another of your readers can identify.
    Thanks for the treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:05 pm

    I LOVE old pictures. My grandmother was born on Toronto Island and lived there until she married. She graduated from the U of T on 1918. Your first photos remind me of hers. What a pretty group of little girls...before the world wars, before so many things that have changed the last 100 years.
    Can't help you with the car ID!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth: "before the world wars, before so many things that have changed the last 100 years."

    And they are certainly "so many"! My parents lived through 2 world wars, the Depression of '29, the advent of television and commercial airlines, PCs and touch-tone phones, right up to the internet years.

    Now we take it all so much for granted. And the younger generation -- my grandkids, for example -- are comfortable with computers and cell phones before they go to pre-school.

    Will they ever be able to even imagine the world we grew up in? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The car looks familiar. I'll see what i can come up with.
    That is a great picture.


    http://mechcts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jefferson!

    Your blog looks interesting. I used to read old manuals and project guides, just for the fun of it. I probably still have a few hanging around. I'll look them up.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger