Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Wet, cold, and bejewelled

The Fraser Delta is prone to thick fogs in winter and spring, sometimes so murky that I drive following the shoulder of the road, which is about all I can see. (I once followed the lights of a car a few metres ahead. He seemed to know where he was going, until he drove, without hesitation, into a deep ditch.)

Today's fog wasn't quite that bad. The fields alongside the highway faded out into a grey nothingness, and those inevitable fog-grey Vancouver cars were visible only as a pair of lights. But the traffic was light, and there was no ice - yet - so we zipped ourselves into down and wool, and went to look at birds on Boundary Bay.

We came back with 150 or so peeps photos to sort; I'll post some of them tomorrow.

On the way back to the car, we passed a monkey tree festooned by spider webs,each silken thread heavy with glassy beads.

The central disk is a spider's skating rink. Empty, though.

Detail of another web. These beads look like they're frozen. They could be. The temperature is hovering around 0°C.

Top-heavy web, torn by the weight of the mist.


2 comments:

  1. Oh...lovely Gems I would be happy to wear them! :) Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spiderwebs with dew!! You got some great shots!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger