Monday, November 30, 2009

Just one thing, and I'll be quiet



Post #3 of Culture Crawl, 2009 series. (#1, #2)

I don't believe in artist's statements. Oh, I read them all, carefully. I think they're important, giving an insight into the background, values, and aims of the artists. But I don't believe them.

The thing is, the writer of the statement is trying to express in words what he has already said in his most powerful language; his artistic creations, the melding of his talent, his feeling, his skill, his determination. The written statement is a pale shadow only, a second-best.

It follows that anything I can say about someone else's work is a ghost of a reflection of a shadow. So here is a sampling of work we saw in this year's Crawl, with as few words of mine as possible:



Angel in a cage? Paneficio Studios



ALL SEEING, Valerie Arntzen. Wood box, found wood, fridge cores, spring, wood ball, acrylic rod, map. 





Sandra Bilawich. Vase, stone and barnacles



Arnt Arntzen, bowls





Arnt Arntzen, airplane wing bench




101 ladles.

I've been watching this room develop for some time. The artist wasn't in; Crawlers examined it from the outside.



101 ladles and a row of blue houses, three Crawlers, reflected



The only explanation. On the door.



Kathleen Barrett. Untitled. Root, box, stones.



Kathleen Barrett. Wire, iron ball, rusty pipes, root, board



Bamboo art. Rob Thomson



Crib board, bracelet, candle holders. Bamboo art, Rob Thomson



Chain and crystal lampshade. Artist unidentified.



Hard-hat table, clock. Noah Goodis, Ironside Metalworks.



Noah, with his chair storage solution.



Louise Francis-Smith. Wall of her reflected photos in the glass of another. Views of Strathcona, people of Chinatown.

'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger