Monday, September 21, 2026

Quiet stop

I stopped for a few minutes at Snakehead Lake. There's a Day Use area there, really only a small parking lot, a ring of stones for a campfire (and a sign: NO CAMPFIRES AT ANY TIME), a short trail down to what used to be billed as a boat launch, now closed in by impassible sweet gale shrubs to leave maybe space for a small kayak. Someone has left an old lawn chair, broken but still serviceable, looking out over the lake.

But there were mushrooms. And many Cherry-faced meadowhawks zipping about. A fish jumped in the lake. Contrails in the sky, reflected in the water. I got my feet wet trying and failing to get a photo of a meadowhawk.

Sweet gale on the shore, wetland rushes in the water..

Not seen, but they're there among the rushes; meadowhawks.

View from the chair.

Mushrooms. After those few days of rain, they had sprouted all around the parking space, but most were already dry and shrivelled. These three were protected from wind and sunshine under a bank.

A Skywatch post. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me detuve por unos minutos al lado del lago Snakehead (Cabeza de Víbora). Hay un sitio para uso del dia, que en verdad es solamente un estacionamiento para 2 o 3 vehículos, un anillo de piedras para prender una fogata (y un letrero: NO SE PERMITEN FOGATAS), y un senderito que baja a lo que antes se decía ser un embarcadero, pero que ahora apenas permitiría un kayak pequeño, por los arbustos que lo han invadido. Alguien ha dejado una silla de jardín vieja mirando hacia el lago.

Pero hubo hongos. Y muchas libélulas rojas (Sympetrum internum). En el centro del lago, saltó un pescado. Estelas de condensación en el cielo se reflejaban en el agua. Tratando, sin éxito, a sacar una foto de una libélula, llené los zapatos de agua.

  1. El arbusto en la ribera es Myrica gale; juncos crecen en el agua.
  2. No se ven las libélulas, pero vuelan entre los juncos.
  3. La vista desde la silla.
  4. Hongos. Después de unos pocos dias de lluvia, brotaron alrededor del estacionamiento. pero ya la mayoría están secos y arrugados. Estos tres estaban protegidos del sol bajo la sombra del declive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger