Thursday, October 10, 2024

Jellies, red and white

The tide was just off the peak when I stopped at Oyster Bay this afternoon. There was no wind and the waves, barely there, nibbled at the high tide line. A fair number of jellies had come in with the tide, still fresh and whole after their mating dance, but ready to call it a day and stay on the shore when the water left.

Lion's mane jelly, Cyanea capillata. This one was just over 30 cm. across, measured against my shoe, but without stepping in the water.

Moon jelly, Aurelia labiata. About 12 cm. across.

Empty sea, empty sky. A quiet afternoon.

I walked down the shore to the breakwater, across the dunes, around the lagoon, over the meadow and through the little wood. There were birds; photos tomorrow. And in the little wood, mushrooms. It was starting to rain again, but I managed to get a few photos before the camera got too wet.

A Skywatch post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuando llegué a Oyster Bay esta tarde, la marea estaba a su máximo. No había ni un soplo de viento, y el agua reposaba tranquilo. Las ondas, apenas mereciendo el nombre, unos pocos centímetros de agua, temblaban al tocar la arena. Un buen número de medusas habían llegado con la marea, todavía frescas y enteras después de sus actividades reproductivas, pero listas para dejarse secar en la playa cuando se va el agua.

  1. Una medusa melena de león ártica, Cyanea capillata. Esta medía un poco más de 30 cm., medida con mi zapato, pero sin meterlo en el agua.
  2. Medusa luna, Aurelia labiata. Mide unos 12 cm. de diámetro.
  3. Todo quieto, todo tranquilo.
Caminé por la playa hasta el rompeolas, cruzé las dunas, di la vuelta a la laguna, pasé por el campo abierto y me interné en el bosquecito. Y había pájaros; mañana subo algunas foto. En el bosquecito había hongos; empezaba a llover ya, pero saqué algunas fotos mientras no se había mojado mucho la cámara.


7 comments:

  1. That's fair-sized Lion's Mane! Not something you'd want to step on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photographs and poetic commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty jellies. I like the Lion's Mane, which is well named!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty jellies. I miss being near a coast. I may not have gone much, but at least I could if I wanted! I still could, but it is further away.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger