Saturday, October 05, 2024

Face-off

Who is watching whom? A couple of turkey vultures were busy with something beside the road to Roberts Lake. One flew away when I came by, but when I stopped the car and got out with the camera, the other came over to perch in a tree overhead to look me over.

"What's she stopping here for?This is our place!"

"Maybe if I make myself look big, she'll be scared away."

"No? Not getting back in her box with wheels?

"So I'll fluff myself out even more. Look! I'm big, I'm scary!"

"Scram! Go home!"

He won. I got back in the car and went on my way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

¿Quién está observando a quién? Al lado del camino que da al lago Roberts, una pareja de buitres pavo (zopilote de cabeza roja, Cathartes aura) estaban ocupados con algo entre los arbustos. Cuando llegué, uno se fue, pero cuando detuve el coche y salí con la cámara, el otro vino a posarse en un árbol desde donde me pudo examinar.

  1. ¿Porqué se detiene aquí? ¡Este sitio es nuestro!
  2. Tal vez si me hago grande, se espantará.
  3. ¿No? ¿No se está metiendo en su cajita con ruedas?
  4. Pues me hago más grande aun. ¡Mira que grande soy! ¡Témeme!
  5. ¡Ya lárgate! ¡Vete a casa!
Me di por vencida. Me metí en mi cochecito y seguí camino hacia el lago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger