Friday, September 20, 2024

Two for the price of one

I almost missed these; they're so tiny, and they hide in the duff in the dimness of the conifer forest. I saw the first clump when I moved a fern branch to look at another mushroom.

White coral fungus, Clavulina coralloides. About 5 cm. tall.

An even smaller one. Another fungus, Helminthospaeria clavariarum, sometimes parasitizes these coral mushrooms, giving then a bluish tint.

These are edible, they say. Not exactly delicious, and too tiny to bother with, I would think. And besides, if they've been parasitized, they're poisonous. It's like my Mom always said in stores (and the forest is a storehouse of delights), "Look, but don't touch!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Casi pasé sin ver estos honguitos; son pequeñitos, y se esconden entre la hojarasca en la penumbra bajo los abetos. Solo vi los primeros cuando arrimé una fronda de los helechos perennes para mirar otro hongo.

  1. Hongo coralino blanco, Clavulina coralloides. Mide alrededor de 5 cm. de altura.
  2. Otro más chico. Otro hongo, Helminthospaeria clavariarum, es un parásito que a veces invade el hongo coralino, impartiéndole un tinte azulado.
Estos hongos son comestibles, dicen. No tienen gran sabor, y son tan pequeños; no vale la pena cosecharlos, creo. Y además, si vienen con el hongo parásito, son venenosos. Es como decía siempre mi mamá en las tiendas (y el bosque está lleno de delicias, más que las tiendas), — ¡Mira, pero no toques! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger