Saturday, July 27, 2024

Caught again

I do love a good list.

Paradise Meadows has an online guide to the plants found along their trails; about 100 plants, mostly flowering plants sorted by the colour of their flowers. Some of those plants are ones we are familiar with down here at sea level: fireweed, columbine, twinberries, and violets, for example. Most, though, are species that can handle the brief summer season and the long sleep under snow and ice. Some I can find in my usual guidebooks, once I know where to look. (The Paradise Meadows guide doesn't include much information beyond the photos and the names.)

And they missed some. Many. Another list I found counts 165 plants, but just includes the names, no photos. And one of the flowers I found isn't on that list, either. Google image search took me to iNaturalist, which led me to Wikipedia, and there it was. Another was on a (huge) list in Swedish, which I have now lost; must have deleted the link by mistake.

Well. I was just going to post a few flower pics, and ended up spending several hours scrolling and scrolling, searching for names. 

So: a few flower pics.

I think this is the Mountain Monkey flower, Erythranthe tilingii. "...  grows in mossy alpine seepage sites ..."

Bog blueberry, Vaccinium uliginosum.

Two species of burnet; Menzies' burnet (the pink one) and Sitka burnet; Sanguisorba sitchensis and S. menziesii.

White-flowered rhododendron, Rhododendron albiflorum.

King gentian, Gentiana sceptrum.

And another Menzies' burnet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Una buena lista siempre me puede atrapar.

Paradise Meadows (Praderas de Paraíso) ofrece un guía online sobre las plantas que se encuentran alrededor de sus senderos, unas 100 plantas, en su mayor parte plantas con flores, ordenadas según el color de las flores. Algunas son las plantas familiares aquí al nivel de mar; el epilobio, la aquilegia, baya gemela, los pensamientos, por ejemplo. Pero la mayoría son especies que pueden prosperar a pesar del verano breve y el sueño largo bajo la nieve y el hielo. Algunas de estas, las puedo encontrar en mis libros guía usuales, una vez que sé donde buscarlas. (El guía de Paradise Meadows no incluye mucha información aparte del nombre y las fotos.)

Pero no incluyeron todas las posibles. Les faltaron muchas. Otra lista que encontré incluye 165 plantas, pero nada más los nombres; no hay fotos. Y una de las flores que encontré no está en ni la lista de PP, ni la de 165. Buscando en Google con mi foto me llevó a iNaturalist, y de allí a Wikipedia, donde por fin la vi. Otra apareció en una lista enorme, esta con fotos, en sueco. Y esa lista la he perdido, borrando el enlace por error.

Solamente planeaba subir unas cuantas fotos de flores, y terminé pasando varias horas recorriendo listas, buscando nombres.

Regresando a lo planeado: aquí están esas pocas fotos.
  1. Creo que esta es la "Flor Mono de la Montaña", Erythranthe tilingii. "... crece en humedales alpinos con musgo ..."
  2. Arándano azul de los pantanos, Vaccinium uliginosum.
  3. Dos especies de Sanguisorba, S. menziesii (rosa fuerte) y S. sitchensis.
  4. Rhododendron albiflorum
  5. Gentiana sceptrum, Genciana Real.
  6. Y otra Sanguisorba menziesii.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger