Monday, June 17, 2024

Knee-high to a speck.

It was just a wall. A cement retaining wall, painted grey. Just a wall ...

The sun came out. So did I, camera in hand, to look at my flowers. On the steps, a black speck ran past my shoe. Just a speck, but it moved like a spider. And I had the camera ready.

Zebra jumping spider, Salticus scenicus.

"Goodbye!"

I came down the steps; now the retaining wall was about elbow height. I was looking to see where Zebbie had gone, and there was another spider, much smaller. Knee-high to a speck.

Smooth spider, not a jumper. And a red mite!

A mite may grow to just over a millimetre in length. I wouldn't have seen this one without my reading glasses, which I was wearing to see the camera's screen. But the wall had more to offer.

The spider, leaving. As they do. Here she hides in the leaves of Creeping Jenny.

Now that I was looking at it from a few inches away, I saw that the wall, freshly painted about 4 years ago, is growing a good crop of lichens; tiny buttons, brown with white trim, orange, and bright yellow. And among those lichens, dozens of those red spider mites raced about.

Section of the wall, with a mite.

I went back into the house and brought out a hand lens. It was too awkward to chase galloping mites, holding the camera in one hand, the lens in the other; I needed an extra to anchor myself on the wall. So I parked the lens right on top of a mite and took his photo.

Blurry, but with some extra details.

Just a wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Era una pared, nada más. Una pared de cemento, un muro de contención, pintado de gris. Un muro solamente ...

Salió el sol. Yo también, con la cámara, para ver las flores. En la escalera, un puntito negro corría. Solo una manchita negra, pero se movía como una araña. Y yo tenía lista la cámara.

  1. Una araña saltadora "cebra", Salticus secenicus.
  2. Y ¡Hasta luego!
  3. Bajé la escalera. Ahora, el muro de contención me llegaba a los codos. Trataba de ver a donde había ido la araña saltadora cuando vi otra araña, más chiquita que la primera. Una arañita café, no una saltadora. ¡Y acompañada de un ácaro rojo! Un ácaro puede crecer hasta poco más de un milímetro, antenas a cola. No habría visto este si no llevara mis lentes para leer, para poder ver la pantalla de mi cámara.
  4. Pero había más de interés en esa pared. Aquí, la araña se esconde entre las hojas miniaturas de una Lysimachia nummularia. Y ahora vi que el muro, pintado hace unos 4 años, ya lleva un gran número de líquenes; redonditas, como botones, unos cafés con bordes blancos, unos anaranjados, y otros de un amarillo brillante. Y alrededor de esos líquenes, docenas de ácaros correteaban.
  5. Una parte del muro, con un ácaro y los líquenes.
  6. Fui por una lente de aumento. No lograba detener la cámara en una mano, siguiendo las carreras de los ácaros, detener la lente con la otra, y sostenerme firmemente en el muro con la tercera ... Puse la lente encima de un ácarito y así le hice su retrato. Salió con más detalle, pero borroso.
Era tan solo una pared ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger