Monday, April 22, 2024

Taking it slowly

 Sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry. I kept up a good pace following a trail through the woods beside the lake. Dry woods, young (second-growth? Third?) Douglas-fir trees; the understory was mostly salal, Oregon-grape, and huckleberries, with bracken ferns just uncoiling their early fronds. I saw a trillium. One, very small still. Nothing more.

Coming back, slower now, coddling my gimpy knee, I saw a second trillium and stopped to look at it. And then there was another. And another.  Somehow, with each step I took, if I then just stood still for a minute, more showed up. And there were tiny yellow violets. 

Down on the coast, spring came earlier. Here, in this long valley surrounded by high mountains, it's just getting started. There were tiny yellow flower buds on the Oregon-grapes; back home, 30 km. as the crow flies, they were in full bloom three weeks ago.

All these trilliums were small and white.

Yellow violet, probably Viola sempervivens. With duff, Oregon-grape leaves.

I should have slowed down even more. I missed the stained Oregon-grape leaves until I saw the photos. These would be last year's leaves, dried and now infested with either a fungus or lichen.

Photo cropped to show the pattern on the dried leaf.

Later, back at the car, I sat for a while on a rock, just watching the forest. A white butterfly arrived and fluttered around a huckleberry bush on the far side of the clearing. I took a photo, even though the butterfly never stood still, and besides, it was too far away. I was surprised later to see, looking closely, that the butterfly's antennae showed up in the photo, although the wings were blurry since they never stopped moving.

Huckleberry bush with new leaves, and butterfly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vale la pena ir despacio. A veces, se me olvida. Siguiendo el sendero en el bosque al lado del lago el otro dia, mantuve un buen paso, como si se me escapara el tiempo. Era un bosque de abetos de Douglas, árboles juveniles, tal vez después de la tercera tala. El sotobosque se compone de salal (Gaultheria shallon), uva de Oregón (Mahonia nervosa), y huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium), y los helechos águila (Pteridium aquilinum) que apenas empezaban a abrir sus frondas. Vi un trilio. Uno, nada más.

Regresando, caminando ya más lentamente, consintiendo mi rodilla adolorida, vi otro trilio y me detuve para mirarlo; fue entonces que vi otro. Y otro. Resultó que con cada paso que daba, si me paraba allí, descubría más. Y había violetas amarillas muy pequeñas, también.

En la costa, la primavera llega más temprano. Aquí, en este largo valle entre montañas altas, apenas empieza. En las uvas de Oregón, había botoncitos amarillos miniaturos, todavía sin abrirse; en casa, a unos 30 km. de distancia a vuelo de pájaro, hace tres semanas las flores ya estaban completamente abiertas.
  1. Todos los trilios eran pequeños y blancos. Más adelante, se vuelven color de rosa.
  2. Violeta amarilla, probablemente Viola sempervivens. Con hojas muertas de uva de Oregón.
  3. Mejor me hubiera detenido aun más. No vi estas hojas de uva de Oregón hasta que las miré en las fotos en casa. Son las hojas del año pasado, ahora colonizados por un hongo o tal vez un líquen.
Llegando al estacionamiento, me senté sobre una roca, descansando y mirando el bosque. Apareció una mariposa blanca y revoloteaba alrededor de un arbusto de huckleberry. No sé porque le saqué una foto; estaba demasiado lejos y además, nunca se detenía. (Pero tenía la cámara en la mano; ya es casi un reflejo habitual.) Me sorprendió, en casa, descubrir que en la foto se pueden ver tenuemente hasta las antenas de la mariposa.
           
        4. Huckleberry con hojitas nuevas y la mariposa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger