Monday, March 04, 2024

Mostly green

I've been unable to post for over a week. Now where was I? Oh, yes; looking at mushrooms and lichens. And some rocks.

These are the last of the small finds on that hillside of mossy rock, sorted by age; fresh and new, old, ancient. 

A very tiny mushroom, with moss, old Douglas-fir needles, and a bit of ice.

Leaf lichen and dry twig, both bleached almost white.

Lichen, by the time we notice it, is always old, having grown so slowly, a few millimetres a year.

Ancient, coming to us from the time of bouncing mountains: green veins in the rock, squeezed out like when I fix a broken pot and put on too much of the glue.

Pale pistachio green rock ooze. They tell me it's epidote.

Another vein, and some sprinkles.

And tomorrow, if all goes well, I can move on to the Deer Falls side hills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hace más de una semana que no he podido hacer un post. Y ahora, ¿dónde estaba? Ah, sí; mirando hongos y líquenes. Y unas rocas.

Estas son las últimas de las fotos que saqué en esas rocas envueltas en musgo. Las he organizado según la edad; algo fresco, algo viejo, y lo viejísimo.

  1. Un hongo muy pequeño, con musgos, hojas de abeto de Douglas, y cristales de hielo.
  2. Una rama rota, muy seca, con sus líquenes foliosos, todo blanqueado hasta volverse casi blanco. Los líquenes, crecidos hasta llamarnos la atención, siempre son viejos, ya que crecen tan despacio, al son de uno milímetros por año.
  3. Y viejísimo, ya que nos llega desde la juventud de las montañas; venas de roca verde, exprimida de entre la piedra mayor mientras se enfriaba.
  4. Otra vena, y gotitas.
Siguiente: otro cerro, éste cerca de las cataratas Deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger