Thursday, May 04, 2023

Flower spotting

 April showers (of which we had plenty) bring May flowers, so the saying goes. And it's May, so I went flower hunting down by the river.

There were salmonberry flowers:

Looks like something has been feasting on a leaf already.

And bleeding hearts, all very pale this year.

Dicentra formosa

Always one of my favourite flowers.

Hiding under the leaves, I found the yellow flowers of twinberries, and some buds:

Lonicera involucrata

The flowers grow in pairs, each pair surrounded by a cup of large bracts. The berries will be blue-black, also in pairs.

And down in the grass by the riverside, many small white flowers with lilac markings:

One of the drabas?

Overhead, by the parking lot, wild cherries line the river bank.

I know they're cherries because last year, I picked and ate a few. They were sour.

And I'm still sorting the rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Las lluvias de abril, dicen, traen las flores de mayo. Y estamos en mayo, así que fui a caminar al lado del rio para buscarlas.

Fotos: 
  1. Había flores de salmonberry, Rubus spectabilis; sus frutas son parecidas a las frambuesas.
  2. Y corazones sangrantes, siempre una de mis flores favoritas. Este año salieron muy pálidas.
  3. Más. Son flores nativas, Dicentra formosa.
  4. Escondidas bajo las ramas encontré las flores amarillas de Lonicera involucrata, la baya gemela.
  5. Las flores crecen dos juntas en en cada bráctea. Las bayas son casi negras.
  6. Entre las hierbas y pasto junto al rio, crecen estas florecitas blancas, una de las Draba.
  7. Y el cerezo nativo alza sus ramas cargadas de flores al lado del estacionamiento. Sé que es un cerezo porque el año pasado coseché algunas cerezas y las comí. Eran amargas.
Y sigo revisando las demás.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger