Friday, March 10, 2023

Snow white and the weeds

 Snowdrops. The first of the spring flowers in my garden plots.

Galanthus nivalis. In Spanish, they're called "winter bells", Campanillas de invierno.

The snow covered these; they didn't mind. And now that it has melted, I see that the weeds have been busy under it all. (The proper order of taking garden photos is 1. Weed. 2. Rake. 3. Take photo. I got it backwards.)

I find myself getting impatient about this time of year, waiting for the green to come back, waiting for the crocuses and tulips and bluebells beside my door, the forsythia, all decked out in yellow, waiting for the salmonberry and thimbleberry and elderberry flowers at the edges of the forest, the skunk cabbages in the ditches, so bright against the dark mud. Waiting for those little green lights in the understory, where sunlight picks out the newest leaves. Winter is wonderful, but oh! Those lights in the understory! They catch my breath away.

The snowdrops are a promise; spring is on its way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Estas son campanillas de invierno, Galanthus nivalis. Las primeras flores de la primavera en my jardincito.

La nieve las cubrió pero no les hizo daño alguno. Y ahora que ya se fue, veo que la hierba mala también ha estado creciendo bajo su protección. (El procedimiento correcto para sacar fotos de los jardines va así: 1. Quitar la hierba mala. 2. Rastrillar. Y 3. Sacar las fotos. Yo lo hice al revés.)

Me falta la paciencia en esta época del año; estoy esperando que regrese lo verde, esperando ver los crocus, los tulipanes, los jacintos al lado de mi puerta, la forsitia toda vestida de amarillo, esperando encontrar las flores de salmonberry y thimbleberry (Rubus spp.) y saúco rojo a los bordes del bosque. Y el col de los pantanos en las zanjas, tan brillante saliendo del lodo. Esperando ver esas lucecitas verdes en el sotobosque, donde los rayos del sol iluminan las hojas recién abiertas. El verano me gusta, pero ... ¡Esas luces en el sotobosque! ¡Inolvidables!

Las campanillas de invierno me sirven de promesa: la primavera está en camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger