Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Tracking trees

On the ground under the trees at Lake Hoomak, I always see many of these large cones with the white markings.

Western white pine, Pinus monticola.

I have seen them nowhere else on the island. A sign beside the trail gave me a clue as to what to look for in the guides:

Trail sign, Hoomak Lake.

The relevant text says, "This area contains Douglas-fir, Western redcedar, Western white pine, Western hemlock, and red alder trees."

The cones of western white pine can grow up to 30 cm. long. This one was about half that.
The scales on cones of white pines have no prickles and are often dotted with spots of white resin. (Native Plants PNW)
The cones can drip pitch in warm weather, warns that site. And on the tree, they hang downward, which probably explains the resin on the tips of the scales. It's hard, and firmly glued to the cone. I've tried to chip a piece off, without success.

But why don't I see them anywhere else? I decided to check their distribution on a map. I found one on DataBasin.

Well, that explains it.

Western white pine grows in the green areas. Campbell River, and the forests where I usually walk, are in the cream (sans WWP) area. The highways north, south, and west travel down valleys in the cream zone.

Next time I go to Gold River, I'll look for the cones; the highway there (off the bottom edge of this map section) passes through the green belt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cada vez que sigo los senderos en el lago Hoomak, veo muchas de estas piñas grandes, las de las puntas de las escalas pintadas de blanco.

Foto: una piña del pino blanco occidental, Pinus monticola.

No las he visto en ningún otro sitio en la isla. Un letrero al lado del camino me orientó:

Foto: el letrero. Dice,
Especies de árbol
Un bosque casi siempre contiene más de una especie de árbol. Hay muchos factores que determinan cual especie de árbol crecerá en un sitio determinado: la humedad, los nutrientes, la temperatura, la cantidad de luz, la superficie disponible, y otras variables. Este sitio contiene abetos de Douglas, cedro rojo occidental, el pino blanco occidental, el pino hemlock, y el aliso rojo.
Las piñas de pino blanco occidental pueden alcanzar los 30 cm. Esta, la de la foto, medía más o menos la mitad.
Las escamas en los conos del pino blanco no tienen espinas, y muchas veces llevan manchas de resina blanca. (De Native Plants, PNW)
Del mismo sitio, veo lo siguiente: de los conos puede gotear brea en tiempo de calor. Y los conos cuelgan hacia abajo, así que la brea se acumula en las puntas de las escamas. Es muy dura y bien pegada a la piña. He tratado de despegar un pedazo, pero sin lograrlo.

Pero, ¿Porqué no las encuentro en ningún otro lugar? Decidí buscar un mapa que mostrara su distribución. Lo encontré en DataBasin.

Foto: el mapa. El pino blanco occidental crece en las zonas verdes. Y eso lo explica todo. Donde yo vivo, y donde camino en los bosques todo queda en la zona color crema.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger