Friday, July 15, 2022

Banana and lemons

 Sometimes in the woods I meet deer. More often, it's slugs. Like this pretty youngster.

Pacific banana slug, Ariolimax columbianus, on a log end.

Good thing I stopped to look at him; on my way back to the trail, I saw these, that I had passed going the other way without noticing.

I think they may be the Wood Woolyfoot mushroom, Gymnopus peronatus. (Also known by a variety of scientific names.) I've never seen them before.

There was a fairly large gathering in the duff between the logs, all with that lemony fuzz at the base of the stalk.

The tallest of these was under 3 inches.

From my guide book:
"... this species is important in its ability to break down the upper 1.5" (4 cm) of leaf litter on the forest floor. The distinctive hairs on its stem makes it particularly easy to identify."
Thanks, little slug!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A veces me encuentro con venados en el bosque. Pero con mucha más frecuencia, los animales que veo son las babosas.

Esta babosita, la babosa "plátano del Pacífico", Ariolimax columbianus, cruzaba el corte de un tronco. Bueno fue que me detuve a mirarla; en camino de vuelta al sendero, vi estos hongos, los cuales había pasado por alto antes.

Fotos: la babosa, y los hongos.

Los hongos son los "patas lanudas de madera," Gymnopus peronatus; también se conocen por una variedad de nombres científicos. Nunca los había visto antes.

En el suelo entre los troncos había bastantes. El más alto medía unos 6 cm.

Mi libro guía dice:

"... esta especie es importante por su habilidad de descomponer la capa superior (hasta 4 cm) de las hojas caídas en el suelo del bosque. Los pelos característicos en el tallos la hacen muy fácil de identificar."

¡Gracias, babosita!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger