Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Little green eyes

The first cabbage white butterfly of the season dropped in to visit today. Just in time; the wild field mustards are blooming nicely next door, ready for her to lay her eggs on the leaves.

Pieris rapae. On the ground.

When I got too close with the camera, she flew up to rest on the engine hood of my car. I gave her a bit more space with the next attempts.

With her reflection, and some clouds. Wings partly open.

And wings closed again.

The males have one black spot in the centre of the primary wings, visible when they're open. The females have two. As far as I can tell, she has two, although the second is half hidden by the outer wings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La primera mariposa de la col, la Pieris rapae, vino a visitarme hoy. Justo a tiempo; las brassicas silvestres han empezado a florecer en el jardín del vecino, listos para que ella ponga sus huevos en las hojas.

Fotos:
  1. En el suelo.
  2. Cuando me acerqué demasiado, se fue a parar sobre el motor de mi coche. Bueno, así tuvo reflejo. Pero me mantuve un poco más alejada. Aquí con las alas medio abiertas.
  3. Y cerradas otra vez.
Los machos tienen una mancha negra en el centro de las alas primeras, visibles cuando están en posición abierta. Las hembras tienen dos. Me parece que esta tiene dos, aunque la segunda mancha está medio escondida tras la ala exterior.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger