Thursday, September 02, 2021

Sleepy time

 I found four cabbage white caterpillars eating my nasturtium leaves.

Looking sleepy, fat and happy.

I collected the half-eaten leaves, and rather than dumping them in the yard waste bag, I put them in a pint jar, where the caterpillars ate more leaves, producing an impressive amount of caterpillar poop. And then, on the third day, they all migrated to the top of the jar and turned into chrysalises.

Cabbage white chrysalis, Pieris rapae, tied to the bottom of the lid. 

And on the rim of the jar. Anchored with a few fragile-looking silk threads.

The last time I had a chrysalis in a jar, the butterfly emerged after only three weeks. That would be the summer generation. Those that pupate in the fall will overwinter in this state, and emerge in the spring.

It's still warm now, though the nights are cold. I'll store this jar outside in a protected spot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encontré cuatro orugas de la mariposa blanquita de la col, Pieris rapae, comiéndose las hojas de mis capuchinas. En vez de tirar las hojas dañadas al recyclaje del jardín, las puse en un frasco con tapa.

Las orugas sigieron comiendo, produciendo una cantidad de excremento de oruga. Y al tercer dia, las cuatro subieron a la orilla superior del frasco, y formaron crisálidas.

Fotos: una oruga, y dos crisálidas.

La última vez que tuve una crisálida en casa, la mariposa salió a las tres semanas. Era parte de la generación del verano. Las mariposas de esta especie que forman sus pupas en el otoño pasan el invierno como crisálida, para emerger como mariposa en la primavera.

Todavía hace algo de calor en el dia, pero las noches son frías, ahora al principio de septiembre. Guardaré este frasco afuera en un lugar protegido.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger