Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Diadematus

 And that spider:

I used to find hundreds of these, everywhere; at home, in the bush, in town ... This summer, I've seen none in the bush, and 5 at home. The first four were very small, and didn't last. Nothing to eat, maybe. This one is closer to a normal size. She seems to have chosen a good spot, in the corner, near my recycling bag full of yard waste.

Cross spider, Araneus diadematus, side view.

View with web and shadow.

Three-quarter view. She's keeping her back, with the characteristic cross pattern, against the wall, but her underside is equally distinctive, patterned in orange, brown and black.

I wish her luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y esa araña:

En años anteriores, encontraba cientos de estas arañas, las arañas de la cruz, Araneus diadematus; sus telarañas se veían alrededor de mi casa, en el centro, en el bosque. Este verano, he visto cinco cerca de mi casa; las primeras cuatro muy pequeñas, y no sobrevivieron; tal vez se les hizo difícil encontrar comida.

Esta es de un tamaño un poco más grande. Parece que ha escogido un buen lugar para situar su telaraña, en una esquina protegida, y cerca de mi depósito de recortes y desechos del jardín. Puede ser que allí encuentre alguna presa.

Tiene la espalda, con su diseño característico de una cruz o corona (según lo miras) contra la pared, pero la parte inferior de su abdomen también es llamativa, con los colores; café, negro, y anaranjado.

Le deseo mucha suerte.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger