Sunday, July 11, 2021

Something on his mind

It's almost as if he has something he wants to tell me.

Grainy hand hermit, Pagurus granosimanus

These hermit crabs are as curious as kittens. They often come to the glass to watch me. Or maybe it's that big black eye I'm holding in front of my face. Or do they see it as a mirror? Do they imagine there's another hermit facing them, just beyond that solid water? Do they associate the sight of me with the yummy shrimp pellets raining down from above? Are they wondering when lunch is served?

Hard to know what a species so alien, and yet so like us in many ways, is thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Casi parece que tiene algo que quiere decirme.

Es un cangrejo ermitaño, Pagurus granosimanus. Estos ermitaños demuestran tanta curiosidad como lo hacen los gatitos. Muchas veces se acercan a la pared de vidrio para mirarme. O tal vez lo que les atrae es ese gran ojo negro que llevo, que a su vez los mira. ¿O es que lo ven como espejo? ¿Se imaginan que hay otro ermitaño al otro lado de esa barrera de agua sólida? ¿Acaso asocian mis visitas con esa lluvia de bocaditos de camarón que caen del cielo? ¿Se estarán preguntando cuándo se va a servir la cena?

¡Tan difícil saber lo que piensa un ser tan diferente a nosotros, pero al mismo tiempo tan similar en muchos sentidos!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger