Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Divers in green water

I don't know how it was that I saw them, driving by on the dirt road, dodging potholes with half an eye on the scenery: tangles of bare branches and last year's maple leaves, deep green ferns and whitish snags and mossy trunks. And there! Just a flash, a spark of white at the bottom of a slope. Moving. Alive. I parked and scrambled down the bank to see what it was.

Hooded mergansers, two males, one female.

Zooming in.

The birds were diving in a wide spot in a creek. I counted four males, with their showy white heads, and three or four females. These are harder to see, blending in against the reflections of sticks and weeds.

Three males, two females.

And two males.

I couldn't get any closer to the creek, because the ground underfoot was soggy and unstable. And the mergansers kept to the far side, even after I'd spent some time pretending to be another snag.

What I saw from the side of the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sé como es que los vi al pasar, bajando por un camino de lodo, tratando de evitar los hoyos más grandes, echando un ojo cuando podía al bosque alrededor; una vista compuesta de ramas secas enredadas, las hojas viejas de arce caídas hace meses, helechos verdes, troncos de árbol cubiertos de musgos, o troncos muertos blanquiscos. Y ahí; un destello, un punto de blanco brillante, allá abajo. Se movía. Vivía. Estacioné el coche y abrí camino entre los arbustos para bajar hacia el agua.

Son los patos "serreta capuchona', Lophodytes cucullatus. Los machos tienen la cabeza blanca tan llamativa; las hembras se visten de café y gris, y se vuelven casi invisibles contra los reflejos de hierbas y ramas.

Vi cuatro machos, y creo que tres o cuatro hembras.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed you spotted them! And it's such a pretty set of photos.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger