Thursday, February 04, 2021

Speckly baby

Crabs and hermit crabs eat snails. They crack them open using their big pincers like nutcrackers to get at the juicy meat inside. One had been really hungry, and was not taking a chance on missing any of the goodies. He cracked open each segment of the snail.

I collected the empty shell and put it under the microscope to look at the inner structure.

Mudflat snail, Batillaria attramentaria, about 1 cm. long.

And then I got side-tracked. There was something moving about inside. I persuaded it to come out and run around in a few drops of water.

A mini-isopod, all speckly, about 2 or 3 mm. long.

Head, 7 segments, one telson 14 legs.

As far as I can tell, it's a baby rockweed isopod. Immature isopods have the same body plan as the adults. (Could be a different species, though; let's see if any grow up.)

Side view, running.

I examined a few other shells. Several of them were hosting these babies.

For comparison: an adult, 2016. Idotea wosnesenskii. The colours vary from green to brown to blackish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Los cangrejos y los cangrejos ermitaños comen caracoles marinos. Los abren con sus pinzas como quien rompe una nuez con un cascanueces, para comerse el animal adentro. Uno parece que tenía mucha hambre, y no quiso perderse ni un poquitito de la carne deliciosa. Rompió cada segmento a lo largo del caracol.

Saqué el caracol para mirar su estructura interna bajo el microscopio. (Medía apenas 1 cm.)

Y me distraje con algo que se movía adentro. Lo convencí a salir y corría alrededor de la concha en un poco de agua.

Es un isópodo, un crustáceo con 14 patas, más o menos de unos 2 mm. de largo.

Parece ser, creo, un isópodo juvenil de alga rockweed, Idotea wosnesenskii. La cría de estos animales se parecen en forma a los adultos. Aunque podría igualmente pertencer a otra especie; veremos si alguno llega a la madurez.

Examiné varias otras conchas. Algunas (no todas) llevaban estos mini-isópodos.

La última foto es de un adulto, tomada en el tanque en 2016. Los colores de esta especie varían entre verde, café, hasta casi negro.


1 comment:

  1. How cool! I'm glad you mentioned the various parts, as I'd initially thought the back end was the front...

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger