Sunday, October 25, 2020

Pink shirt, big mouths, and notes on anemone diets

These are the last of the aquarium pics. For now; the next rainy day, I'll be staring at the glass wall again.

Hairy hermit, Pagurus hirsutiusculus, wearing a pink polka-dot shirt.

One of the limpets, busy eating.

I need to get a new aquarium; all the climbers with shells, the limpets and hermits and snails have scratched the glass from top to bottom over the years, so that I spend too much time deleting scratches from the photos and have given up entirely on the backgrounds. An automatic "remove dust and scratches" helps, but it removes the context.

Another limpet mouth. The spiral tube on the right is his gills.

The plumose anemone, Metridium senile on the far side of the tank.

This anemone was given to me by fellow blogger Tim at Boundary Bay, some 5 years ago. She was doing ok, then not so well, then really not so happy. She spent a lot of her time sulking, and instead of growing, she shrunk. I worried and hand-fed her; it didn't seem to help. Then I read that these anemones need kelp in their diet. I've been bringing home pieces of kelp and allowing them to disintegrate in the tank. And now she stays open most of the time, and she's growing again. I'm happy, she's happy.

And the crabs like the disintegrating kelp, too. Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estas son las últimas fotos recientes de los residentes del acuario. Por ahora; en cuanto vuelve a llover, me pasaré horas mirando las paredes de vidrio otra vez.

Primero, un ermitaño peludo, Pagurus hirsutiusculus, llevando una camisa roja con puntitos.

Luego, dos lapas, comiendo. En la segunda, se le ve la branquia, ese tubo en espiral al lado derecho.

(Nota: tendré que comprar un tanque nuevo; los animales con sus conchas duras han hecho tantas rayas en el vidrio que me tengo que pasar mucho tiempo borrándolas de las fotos.)

Y una anémona plumosa, Metridium senile, al otro lado del tanque. Esta anémona me la dió un amigo hace como unos cinco años. Es de Boundary Bay. Al principio andaba bien, crecía y comía, pero con el tiempo no estaba tan bien, y luego se puso muy triste. Se pasaba la mayor parte del tiempo encogida, aplastada. Dejó de crecer, y luego hasta se contrajo. Traté de ayudarla, dándole de comer con la mano, pero no parecía tener efecto. Recientemente, leí que estas anémonas necesitan el alga kelp en su dieta. Empecé a traer pedazos de kelp a casa, y los he dejado desbaratarse en el tanque. Y ahora mi pobre anémona se queda abierta casi todo el tiempo, come y está creciendo otra vez. Está contenta: yo también.

Y a los cangrejos les gusta el kelp viejo, también. ¡Bravo!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, she's still alive! Tell her hello for me.

    With regards to the glass scratches, I'm curious what an untouched-up photo looks like? I don't know about others, but most of the time, I'm not looking at the photos in full-res anyway, so a few scratches wouldn't affect my enjoyment of tank life in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few scratches are fine, but now there are so many, added to the swimming things and the floating fragments of algae and the bubbles from the air filter in the background that the whole photo gets hard to decipher. The critters up against the glass aren't so much trouble; they smooth out the scratches and clean the glass, but the backgrounds are becoming too distracting.

    "Metty" waves back!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger