Monday, June 08, 2020

Mud lovers

The sidehill behind my house was logged off early in the 20th century, then mostly left to itself. It was too steep, too wet, to be considered for housing back then, and gradually turned into a forbidding jungle of alders and maples struggling through a thicket of Himalayan blackberry vines.

My neighbours, a generation ago, cleared the lower slope of blackberries and built their houses. Now, as the population grows, as well as the size of houses, even the old wastelands become valuable. My landlords are clearing that back hill, with the view of building a house and a garden site there.

I explored the site on a sunny afternoon. The blackberries are mostly gone; now the mud is populated by buttercups and Queen Anne's lace. The hill is still wet, even on dry days; mud oozes slowly down the hill; shoe-swallowing mud, glooping mud. In a wetter spot that almost becomes a creeklet, I found a patch of American brooklime.

American brooklime, Veronica beccabunga ssp. americana.

This is a tiny flower that creeps along wet ground, seepage areas, at the edge of ditches. I don't see it often, partly because of its habit of growing where I can't walk. To get these photos, I had to crouch precariously above the mud, with my shoes already half eaten.

The bluish colour in back is the sheen of water over the mud, which is almost black.

Four-petalled lilac-coloured flowers.

They say it's edible, but they also warn against eating any growing in polluted water. So I'm not harvesting any of these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

En los primeros años del siglo pasado, se cortaron los viejos árboles del cerro atrás de mi casa. Desde entonces, el sitio se abandonó a su suerte, ya que era demasiado inclinado, demasiado húmedo, demasiado inestable como para construir casas. Con el tiempo, se convirtió en una jungla de alisos y maples casi ahogada bajo cañas de mora invasiva.

Mis vecinos, hace una generación, limpiaron la parte inferior del cerro, matando las moras, y allí construyeron sus casas. Y ahora, con el crecimiento de la población, aún ese terreno inútil adquiere valor. Los dueños de mi casa están limpiando ese cerro, pensando construir allí una casa y un jardín.

Una tarde asoleada, fuí a explorar el sitio. Casi todas las cañas de mora se han extirpado; ahora el lodo está cubierto de ranúnculos y zanahoria silvestre. Y el cerro sigue mojado, empapado; el lodo fluye lentamente cerro abajo y es capaz de comer zapatos.

En una esquina donde el lodo casi se convierte en riachuelo, encontré estas flores. Son Verónica acuática (o becabunga), una planta pequeña que se arrastra por sitios donde hay lodo mojado, en el borde de riachuelos, en terrenos maltratados. Raras veces la encentro porque acostumbra crecer donde se me hace difícil caminar. Para sacar estas fotos, me tuve que balancear precariamente sobre el lodo, con los zapatos ya medio tragados.

Se dice que la planta se puede comer, pero también nos advierten que no hay que comerla si está creciendo en aguas contaminadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger