Friday, January 10, 2020

Weird, just weird

This is just strange. I've never seen snow like this before.

In the ditches beside the highway there was about an inch of snow, but more exposed areas were clear. Except on certain of the weeds. And two puddles. There, the snow was individual blobs, like small flakes, but each one separate. And only on ice or organic material. But not on moss or evergreen needles.

The rocks are dry. The weeds are damp.

I thought at first that the blobs were the remainders of hail, but no, they were soft as new-fallen snow.

Ice on a puddle. With mini-snow blobs.

And why did the ice form in long sticks?

So confusing!

2 comments:

  1. Air tends to cool faster than land. When the temperature hovers around freezing, the more insulated the snow is from the land, the longer it will stay as snow. That's why snow on rocks/roads doesn't accumulate when the air temps are just hovering around freezing. Flakes that land on plant leaves that have fine hairs to keep the flakes elevated will last longer too. That's my theory, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger