Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Whenever it stops raining

A dozen mushroom photos.

I find these encouraging, hope-inducing. Because it's blowing and storming outside these days, the forest floors and fern beds are layered with soggy, slippery, browning leaves, the night falls far too soon. And I have damaged my shoulder, and instead of getting better, it is stiffening and aching, possibly because of the cold and damp. Even my rain-loving cat has holed up under a feather blanket. I'm tempted to brood. To think that the forests and shores are closed to me now, until the spring.

And then, here are these mushroom photos. Taken in November, in December, even in January, of previous years. This weather is temporary, they tell me. The sun will shine again, on mushrooms and lichens, on tree lace and moss. It's time to dig out my winter boots and jackets. And clean the innards of my camera.

Down in the grass, Tyee Spit. October 30.

Amanita. November, Oyster Bay

Boletus, November, Oyster Bay

Slug-nibbled boletus and tinies, Oyster Bay. November.

"shroom, moss, evergreen needles. November
Those same boletus, on my return trip through the Oyster Bay woods. I liked the fern decoration.

These grow out of cracks in well-aged logs in the Salmon Point woods. December.

Salmon Point, December

Polypore on wet log, Salmon Point. December

And the end of January. Tyee Spit, after the snow melted.

On my favourite big log on Tyee Spit, January 29. All summer it sits there inert; any fungi are in hiding. They come out when it rains.

Log along the shore, Tyee Spit. January.

Now, where did I stash those boots?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger