Sunday, October 27, 2019

Tiles laid by a drunk glacier.

Many of the beaches along the Campbell River shore are mostly flat sandstone scattered with large erratics. In places, this sandstone is covered with a layer of green algae, making it look like a lawn or golf course. (With huge golf balls.)

In other spots, the sandstone lies open to the sky and waves, with very little life on it. Mostly, it shows up in flat slabs or even chipped-off layers:

Sharp-edged chip. Rockweed for scale. The chip is about 6 to 8 inches long.

But on one section of the Shell Road shore, the stone is scored in mostly rectangular sections, looking man-made, like tiles laid by someone without a ruler.

Straight line cuts. Some almost perfectly right-angled.

A larger tile.

Glaciers sliding out to sea might explain a straight line of scored rock. But the cuts at right angles to these? How did that come about?

Another section of tiles, overlapping.

The more I pay attention to what's around me, the more amazing this whole earth becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger