Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Azure

It's butterfly season again. Along the Oyster Bay dunes, these tiny, brilliant blue butterflies were dancing.

Spring azure butterfly, Celestrina ladon.

These are tiny butterflies, about half the size of the cabbage whites. They are very shy; they perch on a flower or leaf, resting, but as soon as I move, even though I'm several metres away, they take off. I tried pretending to be a stump, until my feet started to sprout roots; it didn't work. They knew better than to trust a stump with a camera. None came near me.

I hid behind a fence for this one. It looked brown, as in the photo, but as soon as it started to fly, the wings shone out blue again. She may be a female; their wings have a brown edge.

The legs are striped, like hairy hermit antennae.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger