Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Hundreds of spiderlings

Last October, I found a spider's egg case under the eaves of the outhouse at Oyster Bay. I had a plastic jar in the car, and I trapped it inside, brought it home and stored it outside in a couple of flowerpots to keep it cool, but not likely to freeze. When the weather warmed up a couple of weeks ago, I brought it inside so I could keep an eye on it.

For a few days, I could see the spiderlings inside their case, moving about. Then one morning, they were all out and filling the jar with tiny webs.

Some of the spiderlings, seen through the plastic. The blue at the top is the lid. The pale yellow mass in back is the empty egg case.

The plastic was clear enough to even see the eye arrangement on one of the spiders:

Zooming in. Going by the egg case, the shape, the eye arrangement, and the black triangular patch on their abdomens, these are baby cross spiders, Araneus diadematus.

I took the jar outside and left the lid off. Today, five days later, all the spiderlings have moved on. I'll probably find some, later in the summer, inside my house, eating mosquitoes and fruit flies. They're welcome to them.

2 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating how they all rush together into a ball if the web they are on is disturbed. I have an idea they eat each other. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do eat each other at first. Once they've spread out, they're safe. It's a good thing, though; were it not for their cannibalism, we'd be walking through clouds of spider webs, each segment with its hungry spider.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger