Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Trailside decor

Where the Ripple Rock trail climbs steep hills through dark, ferny woods, many purplish-blue flowers cling to the hillsides.

Coast penstemon, Penstemon serrulatus. In the background, Oregon grape leaves, another shade lover.

Out in the open, where the sun shines, the Nootka rose takes over.

Rosa nutkana. Named for Nootka Sound, on the west coast of the island, where it was first described.

A pale yellow crab spider lies in wait between two pink petals, only visible because she's stepped out of the centre of the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger